Maximizing Your Settlement In A Personal Injury Case
After you’ve been in any sort of personal injury accident, maximizing your settlement is of the utmost importance. After all, it’s the settlement amount that will help you recover from your injuries, pay your medical bills, and retain your life until you can get back on your feet again. In instances where personal injury accidents result in life-altering injuries, it’s your settlement that will ensure you’re able to go on with a comfortable quality of life in general.
The immediate steps following a personal injury accident can really make or break your case, and what you can do to ensure you maximize your settlement potential are the following:
• Preserve as much evidence as possible – In cases of serious accidents where you’re whisked away to receive medical attention immediately, preserving evidence at the scene right away may be difficult. However, returning to the scene to take photos and gather evidence as soon as possible is recommended, as is asking a friend or loved one to collect photographic evidence for you. You may also take photos of your injuries before or after treatment, retain the unwashed clothing you wore on the day of the accident, and collect witness statements that can help you prove the accident scene later on.
• Get medical treatment immediately – The longer you wait to seek medical treatment after an accident, the more you could be harming your settlement. By waiting, you lose your ability to prove that your injuries were caused by the accident, and you give the negligent party or insurance provider good standing to deny your claims altogether. Even if you think you’re uninjured, seek a medical checkup as soon as possible to catch any injuries and maximize your settlement potential.
• Be patient – While in an ideal world your first offer will be fair, this is rarely the case. In many instances, you’ll be seeking a settlement from an insurance provider, and insurance companies will look after their bottom line first and foremost. Being patient throughout the negotiations process will give you a better chance at maximizing your settlement.
• Build your case with proof – With proof and evidence on your side, you have a better chance at receiving reasonable and fair settlement offers. Save medical bills, receipts, and pay stubs to ensure you’re able to build your case with plenty of concrete proof. Your Southwest Florida personal injury attorney will be able to walk you through the evidence collection with confidence so you know you have all the documents you need to build a strong case.
• Put your social media on hold – While you’re at home recovering from a personal injury accident, it can be tempting to spend some time on social media channels. It’s important to remember that the negligent party or insurance provider will be looking for any reason to lower your settlement amount, and this includes keeping tabs on your social media presence. Even a simple post about a “dinner out with the family” can be enough to lower or deny your injury claims. You can maximize your potential settlement amount by staying off of social media for the time being until an agreement about your compensation has been reached.
• Hire a Southwest Florida personal injury attorney – Partnering with an experienced attorney is the best thing you can do to maximize your compensation and get the settlement you deserve. If you’ve been in an accident that has resulted in a personal injury, contact us at JusticePays.com today to see how we can help.