What To Do When A Pedestrian Is Hit By A Motorcycle In Florida?
Vehicle collisions are one thing, pedestrian hit-and-run cases are another. There are a lot of motorcycle riders in Florida and there are just as much pedestrian-related accidents too. These accidents are more common than you might think and if you find yourself in this predicament, do you know what you should do?
Motorcycles VS Pedestrians
Motorcycles or motorbikes might seem harmless and less prone to hitting a pedestrian or passerby given their small size. However, the truth is they can accidentally hit pedestrians too and cause grave injuries that can lead to hospitalization and personal injury lawsuits. Causes of these accidents can range from speeding, driving under the influence, and even the usual motorcycle blind spots. If you accidentally get hit by a motorcycle, here are the actions to take:
- Gather As Much Evidence As Possible – Compared to four-wheeled cars and trucks, it is much easier to flee the scene when you are driving a motorcycle. Motorbike drivers know that for sure and will take advantage of this face. That is why it is important to gather as much evidence as you can. It can be in the form of pictures, getting the testimony of other witnesses, or remembering the details of the driver and the motorcycle they are riding.
- A tip would be to check if there are any surveillance cameras in the area. If you find one, be sure to acquire the footage as it is one of the strongest pieces of evidence you can keep.
- Keep All Relevant Documents – The fight does not end after you get your treatment. If you are building a personal injury case, it is also important to get the necessary hospital documents that show the extent of the injuries and wounds you sustained, as well as the amount it cost you to get those treated. These will prove that the motorcycle accident was indeed serious and that you have been gravely affected by it.
- File A Personal Injury Lawsuit As Soon As Possible – Once you have recovered, you would want to immediately file for a personal injury claim. Florida has a short time limit when it comes to filing these kinds of lawsuits so it would be best to take action as soon as you can. Hiring the assistance of an experienced auto accident lawyer or personal injury attorney will help you build your case faster. It will also significantly increase your chances of winning the case.
What Are The Compensation For Pedestrian-related Accidents?
Following a motorcycle accident and a personal injury lawsuit, the victim may be able to claim damages for the following:
- Medical and hospital bills – All expenses paid to treat your injuries following the accident can be claimed.
- Loss of Wages – This involves the income the victim would have earned during their time of absence at work.
- Pain And Suffering – Aside from physical injuries, the victim can also claim damages for mental anguish and stress.
- Funeral Expenses – Should the victim not survive the accident, a wrongful death lawsuit may be filed. Costs of the funeral expenses will then be distributed to the surviving family members under a wrongful death claim.
If you have been involved in an auto accident in the Sarasota / Bradenton area on Florida's west coast, contact the personal injury attorneys who have won more than $500 million dollars for their clients, and get your free case review today.