What To Do When You Are Hit By A Semi-Truck
Being hit by a semi truck or tractor-trailer is without a doubt a terrifying experience. The consequences of these accidents often result in serious injuries or fatalities due to the sheer size of the truck that hit you. In these cases, you may be lost on what to do. Luckily, you have a right to legal representation with a personal injury attorney that specializes in semi-truck accidents. An attorney can help you through the process and get you the compensation you need to get back on your feet.
Don’t Let The Insurance Companies Trick You
Before you even have a chance to let what happened sink in, insurance adjusters will be calling, hoping to offer you a low-ball settlement or to get you to settle right away. This is what they do. Insurance companies are not here to help semi-truck victims, instead, they are motivated to protect their own financial interests. Be careful when they call. What you say they can use against you. You have a right to decline the conversation or only give them minimal details.
Who I Liable For My Tractor Trailer Accident?
In a two car accident, the process is fairly simple. The two drivers exchange information and contact their insurance companies and the process starts. The insurance company of the at fault person will contact you and the settlement process begins. This is not the case in accidents involving tractor trailers. There are several entities that may be liable including:
● The driver of the semi-truck
● The trucking company
● The freight company that loaded the trailer
● The tractor manufacturer
● The trailer manufacturer
● The truck’s service company
● The trailer’s service company
● State entities responsible for maintaining the roads
This gets really confusing because these parties can all be in different states and more than one of them may be liable. The best way to ensure you are pursuing the party who is actually responsible for the accident is with the help of an attorney.
What are the Benefits of Having an Attorney?
After an accident with a big rig, hiring an attorney is one of the best steps you can take. An attorney can help you in a number of ways including:
● Your attorney will take over all aspects of the case, so you can focus on healing
● Your attorney will collect and preserve any evidence including medical records, police reports, witness testimony, and the truck’s black box to prove liability
● Your attorney will help identify the responsible party
● Your attorney will untangle the confusion of where the companies are located, what state the driver is licensed in, and who leases the truck
● Your attorney will determine your current and future damages and make a demand on the responsible party’s insurance company
● Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company to get you a fair settlement
● If necessary, your attorney will take the responsible party to court
As you can see, trucking accidents are a highly specialized field of law that requires a lot of legal expertise and experience. As a result, you do not want to face this legal process alone.
Your Southeastern Florida Semi-Truck Attorney
When it comes time to hire an attorney to represent you in a semi-truck accident, you may be overwhelmed by your options. However, the most important thing to consider when hiring an attorney is experience. Since semi-truck accidents are so complex, you will need an attorney with specialized knowledge. At Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, and Walsh, we have over a century of combined experience representing semi-truck accident victims in Southeast Florida. We have the know-how to determine who is liable and negotiate a fair settlement for your injuries. Call us today to learn how we are a great choice to represent you.